Friday, November 15, 2013

Snow - Ronald Malfi


            Snow is the story of Ted and Kate’s struggle to survive against horrible spider monsters that get inside people.
           
            Erm, sorry. That’s Todd and Kate’s struggle to survive against horrible snow monsters that get inside people.
                                                                  
From the very beginning, I felt like I’d read this story before. I have, a few times now. For me, there was nothing particularly remarkable about Snow as a whole. It was a pretty standard group of survivors vs. monster apocalypse type story with a small town setting. The cop sacrificed himself, the kids got axed, and the pregnant lady was a psycho. Nothing new here.

They also killed off my favorite character, Shawna. Also nothing new here. I did find her refreshingly tough while she was alive. I really admired her will to survive, and felt a little betrayed when she was killed during a scene in her POV. For some reason I never expect a character to be killed in a scene when it is their POV, especially if they are the only character in that scene. Major expectation adjustment.

The only thing I found nonstandard about the book were the characteristics of the monster. Snow is, no surprise, largely about monsters that live in, or are part of the snow from a particularly large storm that covers the Midwestern United States. I’ve never seen a monster that takes the form of glittering, gravity defying snow in any sort of medium, other than a few select monsters in Dungeons and Dragons. When paired with the setting, which is a remote town in the center of a blizzard, the snow beast is well suited to its environment. In much the same way the alien from Alien uses its environment to its advantage, the snow beasts blend with their surroundings, amplifying the paranoia and fear that they could be anywhere and anytime.

As if incorporeal snow monsters with enormous hook arms that turn solid just long enough to hack and slash you and your shelter to smithereens wasn’t terrifying enough, the snow beasts are also capable of possessing their victims. Some of the human skin suites are used as disposable corporeal toys, and behave much like zombies. The interesting ones are the humans taken for more permanent residence. These retain some semblance of humanity, and are capable of blending in with the human population long enough to move about undetected (as seen in the epilogue), though they inevitably have a strange and alien demeanor that puts normal people on edge. This made me wonder how much, if any of the original personality remained in the possessed being. With Eddy Clement, I had the distinct impression there were still some remnants of his former self, but twisted and strange. This was the element of the story that held the most potential for me, and I was disappointed it wasn’t taken further.

An interesting thing also happens to children in this novel when they are possessed. They lose their faces. Something about the snow beasts doesn’t quite mix with prepubescent humans and the result is corrupted. The children appear to be outcasts from both the surviving humans, and the society of snow beasts. They take to roaming the woods in silent packs, and though disturbing, they never harm any of the human characters in the story, which was fascinating to me. I really want to know more about the feral, faceless children, their motives, and the state of their consciousness.


And lastly, there was totally a penis monster. And it was gross. I think there is something telling about ending the semester with a mention of a penis monster. Somehow, it says more than all my blogs ever could.

8 comments:

  1. I wanted a point of view of a character as they were taken over by one of the monsters. That would have provided a clue as to how much of their personality remains, and it would have been very interesting.
    When it brought in the penis monster, I put the book down for a moment because all I could think was that it was trying WAY too hard to have symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also fascinated by the faceless children. That they became faceless outcasts was tragic, and I wanted to know how/if they survived and why the aliens couldn't take a child host in the first place. And if they couldn't, why did they keep possessing children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, the penis sludge monster totally threw me off. While it was certainly gross, it pulled me out of the story. We never see the snow monsters as sludgy or blobby, so this guy just didn't seem to fit. Still creepy though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawna getting killed was pretty cruel. She was AWESOME. And then bam, gone, all by herself (well, you're never alone amongst the snow zombies, I guess). It seemed really cheap, but then I suppose that was part of his point: monsters KILL. They don't care how cool you are, they just eat you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawna was my favorite character. Her death was one of the few surprises in the book, so while I didn't like it, I appreciated it. Okay, sludge-penis came as a surprise, but more like a WTF? surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The children were definitely the creepiest part to me. But I found it interesting that they didn't do any harm. They kind of just wandered around on their own. It was actually pretty sad for them. How would they survive without faces, since you kind of need a mouth in order to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The penis monster didn't make much sense. Actually it didn't make any sense. It wasn't even threatening, really.

    The kids with no faces did make me wonder about the ending though, with the band-aids. I'm not sure a band-aid would suffice for cutting a mouth hole, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The faceless children are scary enough, but there is something sad about them being outcasts and lingering in the woods. I think a POV from a child getting possessed would've upped the horror levels.

    ReplyDelete